DESCRIPTION: The Nutrient Management and Water Quality Group (https://agnr.umd.edu/about/directory/gurpal-toor) at the Department of Environmental Science and Technology seeks an Agricultural Technician Supervisor to provide laboratory and field research support to the group members.
COMPENSATION: The salary range for this position is $45,432 to $74,917, with a midpoint of $60,175. This is a permanent state-funded Staff position and provides all the benefits available to the University of Maryland employees (https://uhr.umd.edu/benefits/).
POSITION SUMMARY: The Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this position include:
(1) Use HACH Lachat Quickchem Auto-Analyzer 8500 for nitrogen and phosphorus analyses in water and extracted soil and sediment samples. Percentage: 25%
(2) Use SHIMADZU TOC-LCPN Analyzer for analysis of carbon and nitrogen in water and extracted soil and sediment samples. Percentage: 10%
(3) Use THERMO Delta V Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometer (IRMS), equipped with Flash Elemental Analyzer, Gas Bench, and Denitrification Kit for analysis of 15N and 18O of nitrate in water and extracted soil and sediment samples and 13C and 15N in soil, sediment, and plant samples. Aim to expand the analysis portfolio of using IRMS for dD, 18O/16O, and dO of phosphate in water and extracted samples. Percentage: 25%
(4) Determine work priorities, plans schedules, assigns, reviews, and evaluates work in the laboratory. Perform other technical activities within the laboratory, such as the use and maintenances of shakers, autoclaves, centrifuges, gas cylinders, pipettes, etc. Percentage: 10%
(5) Perform various field activities to support research experiments, develop plans, design, and layout of fieldwork. Collect specified data ensuring adherence to the research protocols, summarize findings, and prepares reports. Percentage: 10%
(6) Ensure adequate supplies, materials, and equipment are maintained in the operation of the laboratory. Initiate and/or prepare all documentation related to purchase transactions, selects vendors, and manages the ordering process. Processes charges back to other departments on campus. Percentage: 10%
(7) Locate sources of equipment and materials, initiate procurement processes. Use computer software and hardware to assist with data analysis, reports, and presentations. Percentage: 10%
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or GED AND Six years progressively responsible experience in agriculture work, 4-years of which must have been in laboratory or field research and 2-years of which must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity. Valid Maryland Noncommercial Class C or equivalent driver’s license.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree AND at least four years of progressively responsible experience in laboratory and/or field research using various analytical instruments to analyze nutrients and other elements in water, soil, sediment, and plant samples.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications must be received by June 20, 2021. Applicants should submit (1) a cover letter describing interests and qualifications for the position and (2) a curriculum vitae using this weblink: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/83172
QUESTIONS: Questions about the position can be directed to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Charles Burgis, via email at email@example.com
Additional Salary Information: The salary range for this position is $45,432 to $74,917, with a midpoint of $60,175. This is a permanent state-funded Staff position and provides all the benefits available to the University of Maryland employees (https://uhr.umd.edu/benefits/).