NDSU offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes single or family health insurance coverage with premiums paid for by the university – with an effective date for new employees the first of the month following date of hire. Other benefits include: wellness benefits, basic life insurance, retirement plan, tuition waiver, annual leave, EAP, sick leave and holiday pay. Optional benefits include: supplemental life, dental, vision, long-term care insurance, flexible spending account, and supplemental retirement plans.
Internal Number: 2947809
Description & Details:
The position is responsible for development, implementation, and reporting of research activities associated with the forage and organic systems program. Specific duties include research protocol development, grant proposal development to support the program, preparing and planting trials, imposition of treatment variables, trial maintenance, collecting field data, harvesting and processing samples, data analysis and reporting, and outreach. This position includes the responsibility to develop research priorities for both forage cropping systems and organic grain production. Emphasis should be on germplasm evaluation, input management, and systems approaches. The position will coordinate day to day research activities, including a research technician and lab services. It requires the ability and willingness to interact and communicate with the diverse constituency of the department and University research programs.
• M.S. in Agronomy, Soils, Agricultural Engineering, or related field.
• Knowledge and experience working with applied research related to field crops, soils, irrigation, or pest management.
• Documented experience in experimental design and analysis.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Research equipment operation experience.
• Strong familiarity of Northern Great Plains cropping systems.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Ph.D. in Agronomy, Soils, Agricultural Engineering, or related field
• Experience managing staff.
• Documented experience with crop management decisions across a diversity of crops.
• History with organic or forage crop production.
• Documented experience in preparing grant proposals and success in securing extramural funds.
• Evidence of positive producer interactions.
Applicant Materials Required:
• Cover letter addressing each of the minimum and preferred qualifications
• Complete Curriculum Vitae
• Three professional references with contact information
The NDSU Carrington Research Extension Center conducts research and educational programs to enhance the productivity, competitiveness, and diversity of agriculture in central North Dakota. Research effort focuses on dryland and irrigated crop production practices, crop germplasm evaluation and improvement, crop fertility and crop nutrition, soil health and resource improvement, plant disease control and management, evaluation of new agricultural technologies, cropping systems and crop rotation research, crop-livestock nutrient management, integration of crop and livestock production, beef cattle feeding, feedlot management, intensive cow/calf production, growing and finishing traits, carcass data and meat quality, sustainable agriculture practices, foundation seedstocks production, and fruit and berry production. The central location of the Carrington Center is significant in that research programs address research needs representing a significant part of agriculture in North Dakota.
The Carrington Research Extension Center is one of seven out-state NDSU Research Extension Centers. The CREC is located near Carrington, a community centrally located about two hours from each of t...he four largest cities in North Dakota. Carrington is a thriving community of approximately 2,500 people in a widely diversified agricultural production region of east central North Dakota. Carrington is a vibrant rural community with progressive schools (K-12), modern medical services (clinic and hospital), and recreation opportunities including hunting, fishing and birding. For further information visit http://www.carringtonnd.com/.